If you’re looking to add a touch of creativity, sophistication, and personality to your bedroom, accent walls might just be the way to go.
These design features can transform an ordinary room into an extraordinary space, offering a focal point that captures attention and sets the tone for the entire room.
Let’s explore some enchanting ideas for bedroom accent walls that can truly redefine your personal haven.
Should you create an accent wall in your bedroom?
Whether or not to create an accent wall in your bedroom is a matter of personal preference and style.
An accent wall can be a great way to add visual interest and personality to your space.
Here are a few considerations to help you decide:
- Style and aesthetic: Determine if an accent wall fits with the overall style and aesthetic you want to achieve in your bedroom. Consider the colors, patterns, and textures you plan to use in your room’s decor.
- Size and layout: Assess the size and layout of your bedroom. An accent wall can work well in larger bedrooms with ample wall space, while it may overwhelm a smaller room.
- Focal point: An accent wall creates a focal point in the room, drawing attention to a specific area. Consider if there is a specific feature, such as a bed or fireplace, that you want to highlight.
- Color and pattern: Choose a color or pattern for your accent wall that complements the rest of the room. It can be a contrasting color, a bold pattern, or a textured finish to create visual interest.
- Balance and harmony: The accent wall should harmonize with your bedroom’s overall color scheme and design elements.
How to Create a Bedroom Accent Wall
When choosing where to start in creating an accent wall, it is important to understand a few things about your space before you decide color style or anything.
You want to think about how you want to feel in your living space. Ask yourself a few questions that I think are most helpful.
- What do you want your bedroom to feel like?
- Do you want to create multiple spaces in your bedroom?
- Is this more of a luxury hotel vibe?
- Are you interested in morning sunrises or specific views from your bed?
Think about paint colors and the amount of sunlight in the space. This is critical because a color you may love in another space or layout may not be the same in your bedroom.
Once you have those specifics noted next, I suggest the following steps:
- Select a Feature Wall
- Choose Your Decor Style
- Select Your Color Scheme
- Decide Your Accent Color
Select a Feature Wall
First you need to decide the desired layout of the room and where you plan to place your furnishings.
Next is to think of where the sunlight will enter the space and how you would like the room to feel.
Natural Light is important especially when deciding the paint color.
Choose Your Decor Style
It makes it easier to select colors, furnishings, or decor styles when you know what you like. If you do not understand that first, you take the risk of spending a lot of money and causing a ton of frustration.
Research design styles: Research different design styles to familiarize yourself with their characteristics. Some popular design styles include:
- Transitional: Combines elements of both traditional and contemporary styles, creating a balanced and timeless look.
- Modern/Contemporary: Clean lines, minimalism, and a focus on open spaces.
- Modern Industrial: Raw and rugged with exposed brick, metal accents, and utilitarian elements.
- Coastal: Also known as beach or nautical style, draws inspiration from the seaside and evokes a relaxed and breezy atmosphere
- Minimalist: Characterized by simplicity, clean lines, and a focus on functionality.
- Modern Farmhouse: Combines the rustic charm of farmhouse elements with contemporary aesthetics for a fresh and inviting look.
- Urban Modern: A contemporary design style that combines sleek, clean lines with industrial and urban elements like exposed brick walls, concrete floors, and rough textures adding visual interest.
Take our design quiz and see what you really like. It may even be two decor styles to make this easier.
Accent Wall Paint Color
You should consider selecting a bold, dark, bright or neutral color. The beauty of this is it is only an accent.
You can then layer in the decor pieces to calm it down or continue with a theme color scheme that you will love.
Here are a few primary colors that are most popular for you to think about as well:
- Red: Gets you excited and high energy
- Blue: Definitely more calming
- Yellow: Known to be cheerful, but pay attention to the various tones
- Green: Also calming because it is associated with nature, growth and relaxation.
Bedroom Accent Wall Ideas
1. Organic Boho Chich Bedroom with Wood Molding
The focal point of this master bedroom is a stunning wood molding that adorns the walls, adding a touch of natural elegance and visual interest.
The color palette is dominated by earthy tones, with soft whites, warm beiges, and subtle greens creating a calming and harmonious atmosphere.
Natural materials like rattan, jute, and wicker are incorporated through furniture and decor pieces, infusing the space with an earthy and relaxed vibe.
Soft, ambient lighting emanates from carefully placed pendant lights, casting a warm and inviting glow over the room.
Overall, this image captures the essence of an organic boho chic bedroom, where the beauty of nature and the creativity of bohemian design come together in perfect harmony.
2. Soft Green Board and Batten Siding
The bedroom exudes charm and character with its distinct board and batten siding painted in a soft, serene green hue.
The horizontal battens adds texture and visual interest to the facade, creating a delightful play of light and shadow.
Related: If you’re looking for TV accent wall ideas, you’re in luck! There are many different ways to personalize your space and make it look great.
3. King Sized Bed with Custom Tufted Velvet Headboard
The king-sized bed becomes a luxurious retreat with its custom tufted velvet headboard, creating a focal point that exudes elegance and comfort.
The headboard, skillfully upholstered in plush velvet fabric, adds a touch of classic charm.
The rich and lustrous texture of the velvet, combined with the tufting, creates a visually captivating backdrop for the bed.
4. Gallery Wall Above Headboard
Positioned above the headboard, a carefully curated artwork collection creates a captivating gallery wall.
This arrangement of framed pieces showcases a variety of styles, sizes, and subjects, creating a visually dynamic composition.
The gallery wall adds a sense of character and individuality to the space, reflecting the unique tastes and interests of the homeowner.
The artworks are thoughtfully arranged, with a balance of symmetry, creating a visually pleasing and harmonious arrangement.
5. Glam Bedroom with Minimalist Board Wall
The room’s focal point is the minimalist board wall, which adds texture and depth to the overall design.
The boards, arranged in a clean and simple pattern, create a sleek and sophisticated backdrop for the room.
The neutral color of the boards allows other elements in the space to shine, while still adding visual interest. The crystal chandelier casts a soft, elegant glow, enhancing the glamorous atmosphere.
6. Master Bedroom Reading Nook with Floating Shelves
These floating shelves provide functional storage and add a touch of modern elegance to the space.
The arrangement of books creates a visually pleasing display, inviting the reader to explore the literary treasures available.
Complementing the floating shelves is a comfortable armchair, adorned with a plush throw pillow for optimal comfort.
7. Gray Velvet Headboard and Gold Geometric Wallpaper
The focal point of the room is a plush gray velvet headboard, which adds a sense of opulence and comfort.
The smooth and velvety texture of the headboard invites relaxation and creates a cozy backdrop for the bed.
Above, the walls are adorned with gold geometric wallpaper, adding a touch of glamour and sophistication to the space.
8. Rustic Wallpaper and Textured Wood Ceiling
The accent wall is decorated with a rustic wallpaper, which features patterns and textures inspired by nature.
Above, the ceiling is adorned with textured wood, adding another layer of earthy texture.
9. Rustic Bedroom with Wall Art and Wood Panelling
The accent wall is adorned with wood paneling, fresh green paint, and four pieces of wall art.
The combination of wood paneling and wall art creates a visually captivating and harmonious composition.
Complementing the rustic theme, furnishings in natural materials, such as reclaimed wood or distressed finishes, are chosen to enhance the cozy and rustic atmosphere.
Soft textiles, such as cozy blankets and plush rugs, further contribute to the inviting ambiance.
10. Tall Headboard with Wall Moulding
The headboard stands tall and imposing, creating a focal point that instantly draws the eye. Its generous height adds a sense of drama and sophistication.
The wall surrounding the headboard is adorned with meticulously crafted moulding, showcasing intricate details and patterns. This decorative wall treatment further enhances the luxurious ambiance to this glamourous master bedroom!
11. Dark Blue Wood Panel
The wood panel is coated in a deep, rich shade of blue, adding a striking and sophisticated touch. The dark blue color brings depth and intensity to the natural texture and grain of the wood, creating a visually dynamic accent.
12. Diagonal Wood Panel Accent Wall
The accent wall features diagonal wood panels that add a dynamic and contemporary touch. The diagonal orientation creates a sense of movement and visual interest, immediately drawing the eye towards this unique feature.
The diagonal pattern breaks away from traditional vertical or horizontal paneling, providing a fresh and modern twist. This design choice adds a sense of architectural intrigue, making the accent wall a captivating focal point in the room.
13. Contemporary Bedroom Design with Geometric Wallpaper
The accent wall becomes a striking focal point, adorned with geometric wallpaper that adds depth and personality to the space.
The carefully selected wallpaper design features bold geometric shapes, creating a dynamic and modern aesthetic.
The interlocking lines, angles, and patterns form a captivating visual display that draws the eye and adds a sense of energy to the room.
The contrasting colors within the wallpaper design further enhance its impact, allowing the accent wall to make a bold statement.
14. Dark Colored Vertical Shiplap
The walls are adorned with vertical shiplap panels painted in a dark, dramatic color, adding depth and visual intrigue to the room.
The vertical orientation of the shiplap creates a sense of height and draws the eye upward, adding a sense of spaciousness.
The dark-colored shiplap serves as a striking backdrop, allowing other elements in the room to stand out and make a statement. It provides a sense of contrast and richness, creating a captivating visual impact.
This design choice adds a modern twist to the traditional shiplap style, offering a fresh and contemporary approach to wall treatments.
15. Moody Paint and Wood Panels
The ambiance in this master bedroom is created through the combination of rich paint colors and wooden panels.
This combination of moody paint and wood panels transforms the space into a captivating retreat, where the interplay of color and texture creates a unique and alluring ambiance.
Deep, dark hues such as charcoal gray, navy blue, or even black create a moody tone, evoking a sense of intimacy and coziness.
In conclusion, accent walls are a great way to add visual interest to your home interior without overwhelming the entire space with color.
They are the perfect opportunity to experiment with color and texture, and to create a natural focal point in any room.
When choosing your accent wall, consider the room’s purpose, the perfect color, and the best wall to paint.
With these tips, you’ll be on your way to creating a great accent wall that complements the rest of the room and makes a bold statement.