Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or hanging out by the pool on a warm summer day, this fresh strawberry margarita cocktail is the perfect drink to enjoy. With just 5 ingredients and a cocktail shaker, you can make this strawberry margarita. Make it on the rocks or frozen and enjoy it with a side of tortilla chips and guacamole!
How to Make a Strawberry Margarita on the Rocks
Who says you have to go out to eat in order to enjoy a classic margarita? With this recipe, you can enjoy happy hour at home! Part of the Florida lifestyle is enjoying time outdoors and sometimes that’s as simple as sipping on a margarita next to your inground pool.
First, let’s go over the simple ingredients for this easy margarita recipe. There are plenty of brands of Blanco tequila, silver tequila, and triple sec to choose from but I will recommend my personal favorites. The quality of the liquor you use will affect the quality and flavor of your margarita.
- Fresh strawberries: You can use frozen strawberries but fresh is always best. Fresh fruit always brings out the most delicious flavors!
- Gonzalez 1939 Tequila Blanco: High-quality Blanco or silver tequila works well. Alternatively, you can use Mezcal.
- Cointreau: This is what I love to use but any brand of triple sec will work.
- Fresh lime juice: This compliments all the other flavors!
- Agave Nectar: This adds a little sweetness to the margarita. You can also use simple syrup or honey.
- Ice: If you’re serving this margarita on the rocks, you should have ice cubes ready to go.
Cocktail shaker or immersion blender?
If you’re able to use a cocktail shaker, it really helps blend all the flavors together for a perfect summer cocktail. It really helps make the best margaritas!
However, you can also use a high-speed immersion blender, especially if you want to make a frozen strawberry margarita. Simply place the fresh berries, ice cubes, and other ingredients into the blender. Pulse the ingredients until they’re well blended. The frozen version may be more watery but it’s still really refreshing!
What’s the best tequila to use in a margarita?
Gonzalez 1939 Tequila Blanco is a personal favorite of mine. I love the smooth, sensual flavor it delivers. Other popular tequilas include Sauza Tres Generaciones Plata and Don Julio Blanco Silver. The type of tequila that you use doesn’t matter at much as the quality.
What kind of triple sec should you use?
You can use any kind of Triple Sec at your local liquor store, but my personal favorite is Cointreau.
Cointreau is a type of orange liqueur that falls within the category of Triple Sec. But it has a stronger, smoother, and more complex flavor than Triple Sec. It is also slightly more expensive and has a higher alcohol level than most other spirits.
How do you serve a strawberry margarita?
You can garnish the rim of the glass with salt or sugar. I prefer a sugar rim because I love the sweet flavor and texture! You can also add a fresh strawberry to the rim or a lime wedge instead or heck do both! Create it your way because that’s half of the fun.
Garnish the rim of your glasses with sugar or salt based on your personal preference. Add ice cubes to each of the glasses so you can serve them on the rocks.
Pour the margarita mixture into two glasses and enjoy it during one of these hot summer days!
Strawberry Margarita on the Rocks
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1.5 oz Gonzalez 1939 Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 1.5 oz fresh lime juice
- 0.25 oz agave syrup
- Rinse or soak the fresh strawberries in water. Pat them dry and then cut them up into thin slices. Use 4 large and ripe strawberries which is about one cup.
- Muddle the strawberries in an 8 oz cocktail shaker.
- Add Tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, and agave syrup to the shaker. Cover and shake 15 times or until ingredeints are well blended.
- Garnish the rim of your glasses with sugar or salt based on your personal preference. Add ice cubes to each of the glasses.
- Pour the margarita mixture into two glasses and enjoy!
This strawberry margarita recipe was inspired by Cheese Gal (follow her on Instagram for more refreshing cocktails!). We added fresh strawberries because they add natural flavors to this homemade margarita.
This article may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a commission from the sale (at no extra cost to you!). I recommend items that I personally love and believe these products will help you create your dream home.